This recipe uses tofu that has been frozen and then defrosted, giving it a sponge-like texture that lets you add soak up the marinade to really boost the flavour.
- Category: Main
- Prep Time: 20 minutes
- Cook time: 15 minutes
- At least a day in advance, cut the tofu into 1cm chunks, place in a sealed tub and freeze overnight.
- When you are ready to make the stew, boil some water and pour it over the frozen cubes of tofu. Leave them to defrost – you can drain them and add more boiling water if you are in a hurry.
- Preheat the oven to 220°C.
- Peel and roughly chop the onions.
- Scrub (or peel) and dice the potatoes.
- Peel and thickly slice the carrots.
- Put the yeast extract and stock into a large saucepan and bring to the boil.
- Add chopped onions and diced potatoes and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add carrots and simmer for 5 more minutes, covered.
- Meanwhile, mix together the tamari, vinegar and 2 tbsps. water and pour into a large casserole dish.
- Drain the tofu and gently squeeze the cubes to press out the water.
- Put the tofu into the dish with the tamari mix. Gently press the cubes down and release so that they soak up the liquid like sponges.
- Add the vegetables to a casserole dish, stir and cover with a lid.
- Cook in the oven for 15 minutes.
The ingredients in this recipe are available from The V Spot.Comments Off on Vegan Tofu Irish Stew