Scrambled tofu is great on toast or as part of a full cooked breakfast. It’s tasty and full of protein. The kala namak (black salt) contains sulphur and gives the dish an authentically eggy flavour.
If you want to add vegetables, cook them first and add them after you have cooked the tofu through. Mushrooms, peppers, courgettes and spinach all work really well.
- First you need to drain the tofu and squeeze as much water out of it as you can. The best way to do this is with a tofu press but you can wrap it in a tea-towel and put book on top of it.
- Put the drained tofu into a bowl and crush it with a fork to make a rough paste.
- Heat some oil in a frying pan.
- Peel and slice the onion and soften in the frying pan.
- Add the tofu and cook gently, stirring regularly, until it is cooked through.
- Add the turmeric and nutritional yeast flakes and stir thoroughly. Cook for a couple more minutes.
- Serve on toast topped with plenty of ground black pepper.
The ingredients in this recipe are available from The V Spot.
Find out more about nutritional yeast flakes.