Mushroom & Chestnut Wellington
This is a great centrepiece for a special meal and it’s really easy to make. Delicious served with roast potatoes, vegetables and gravy. The ingredients are available from The V Spot.
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 250g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
- 225g chestnuts (vacuum packed)
- 225g ground almonds
- 225g wholemeal breadcrumbs
- 500g Jus Rol puff pastry
- 2 tbsps olive oil
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 2 tbsps lemon juice
- 2 tsps dried tarragon
- 1 tsp yeast extract
- Soya milk for brushing
- Preheat the oven to 200℃ / Gas Mark 6.
- Chop the onions and garlic and roughly slice the mushrooms.
- In a large saucepan, fry the onion in the olive oil until tender.
- Add the garlic and mushrooms and cook until mushrooms are tender.
- Put the mixture into a blender and blend to a purée.
- Grind the chestnuts. Put them in a large bowl with the ground almonds, breadcrumbs, puréed mushrooms, soy sauce, lemon juice, tarragon and yeast extract and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roll the puff pastry out to a 15” square.
- Place the pastry onto a greased baking sheet and heap the mixture into the centre, forming a loaf shape.
- Make diagonal cuts in the pastry about 1cm apart on each side of the mixture, then fold these over the mix to make a kind of plait. Tuck the ends in neatly and trim off any extra bits.
- Brush with soya milk.
- Bake for 40 minutes until pastry is puffed and golden brown.
Buy the ingredients
Jus Rol Frozen Puff Pastry 1.5kg£3.95 Add to basket
Merchant Gourmet Whole Chestnuts 180g£3.15 Add to basket
Meridian Shoyu Soy Sauce 500ml£3.75 Add to basket
Meridian Yeast Extract 340g£3.95 Add to basket
Organic Ground Almonds 125g£3.40 Add to basket
Organic Tarragon 25g£1.30 Add to basket
Sunita Organic Lemon Juice£1.90 Add to basket